Due to the amount of repeated question asked, I have decided to post AirAsia FAQ to allow users to seek answer without needing to wait.
From my experience, Air Asia facebook customer service crews are doing a great job in trying to answer everyone’s question. But hey, they are humans too so they might miss out 1 or 2 questions or even reply later than you expected.
1. Can I change name on AirAsia ticket?
Please note that name change option will no longer be available for all destinations effective 25th July 2014.
For an error, misspelling, or wrong sequence, changes will only be allowed for the following:
Add on/removal of English name for Chinese guest
Title and gender change
Sequence change – swap of first name and last name is allowed
Please note that these changes are subject to approval.
2. What if I plan to cancel my AirAsia flight? Can I claim for refund? How long will I need to wait?
You can only claim AIRPORT TAX refund once the flight date has passed & only for international flight. It normally takes 3 – 4 months time before Air Asia refunds you the money.
To ensure a smooth refund process, please provide the following details:
(a) If payment is made by credit card:
1. The Reservation/ Booking Reference Number
(b) If payment is made by Direct Debit or Cash or Travel Agent:
1. The Reservation/ Booking Reference Number
2. Bank Account Number
3. Bank Name
4. Name of Account Holder
3. How many bags can i hand carry on board? Whats the maximum weight allowed?
All passengers are allowed to hand carry 1 bag ( excluding laptop bag & ladies handbag ). The maximum amount of weight for hand carry is 7kg & provided that it DOES NOT EXCEED the dimensions of 56cm X 36cm X 23cm.
4. Can i change my flight date? Is it free or what are the charges? How can i change it?
Yes, you can change your flight date subject to a CHANGE FEES + FARE DIFFERENCE CHARGE. There are 2 ways to change your flight.
1st. Log in your Air Asia Web Account & change under MANAGE MY BOOKING – MODIFY. Once you change the date, total amount of money will be shown. If you are okay with the fees, click confirm and proceed payment. If not, then just click other page to cancel the changes.
For info on : Fees & Charges
5. AirAsia changed my flight date/time! Can we change it? How much will it cost? How to change it? Can i ask for refund?
If Air Asia changed your flight date/time, you ARE ALLOWED to change your flight date/time for FREE subject the change is more than 3 hours from your original flight.
AirAsia allows you to RETAIN THE VALUE of the fare you paid in a credit account for your future travel provided you rebook within three (3) months therefrom.
6. I spelled my name wrongly. How to change? Am i allowed to check in?
If your name has minor mistake, don’t worry. Air Asia will allow you to check in without problem. If you insist on changing, you will need to tweet AskAirAsia on Twitter.
7. I bought air ticket at RM100. However when i try to buy another ticket, the price has increased !! Why?
Air Asia ticket pricing is TIERED SYSTEM based on supply & demand. For example, the 1st 10 ticket price is RM100, the next 20 ticket price is RM125, the following 20 ticket price is RM175 and goes on. It is a matter of luck & how quickly you are to get the cheapest price.
8. I bought AirAsia ticket last week however the price has dropped today! Can i ask for refund for fare differences?
Unfortunately No. AirAsia DOES NOT ALLOW passengers to claim refund.
Hopefully they will allow in future so passengers who buy early can buy in peace and increase customers loyalty to Air Asia. Most developed countries like US, UK, Japan & Australia practice refund so hopefully Air Asia will follow soon.
9. I am pregnant / hospitalized / a passenger has passed away & cant make the flight. Can i ask for refund? How?
Air Asia will place the value of the fare you paid in a credit account for your future travel which must be utilized within three (3) months from the date of issue.
You will need to provide the necessary documents ( doctor’s letter, death certificate ) to Air Asia sales counter / airport counter to prove the reason is valid.
10. Can i bring cosmetic or liquid on board the plane?
Subject to the prevalent applicable local laws and regulations passengers may take liquids on board in their hand luggage provided they meet the following restrictions:
- The liquid is in a container with a maximum volume of 100ml
- That all liquid containers meeting the maximum volume of 100ml each can be fitted comfortably into a transparent, re-sealable 1 litre plastic bag
The plastic bag should be presented separately at security. You may be required to dispose of liquids which do not meet the above requirements.
11. If I miss an onward flight because of an AirAsia flight delay, will I receive a complimentary seat or obtain a refund?
If you fail to check-in on time or board the aircraft by the boarding time, the fare you paid is not refundable. You will have to make another booking on the next available flight.
12. When do i need to check in for my flight?
AirAsia X (D7 Flights) check-in counters open three (3) hours before and close sixty (60) minutes before the scheduled flight departure time.
AirAsia (AK, FD and QZ Flights) check-in counters are open two (2) hours and close forty-five (45) minutes prior to the scheduled flight departure time .
13. Can i buy or increase baggage allowance / meals after i bought the ticket? How? Until when can i make changes?
Yes you can. Just log in your Air Asia account and click MANAGE MY BOOKING – MODIFY. Click add baggage / meal & proceed to payment. You can only change up to 48 hours before your departure time.
14. I have booked 15kg baggage allowance. How many check in luggage i can check in?
There is no restriction for the quantity of luggage to check in as long as TOTAL WEIGHT is below the baggage allowance you booked.
15. Does AirAsia fly from XXX to XXX? Where does AirAsia fly?
You can check out ALL Air Asia routes – AirAsia Route Map
16. How do i claim airport tax refund from AirAsia?
You can visit the nearest AirAsia sales counter to do it or fill in the AirAsia E-form
17. Can I change my flight date or add baggage after I online checked in?
Unfortunately once you online checked in, you are Not Allowed to change your flight nor add baggage.
Hopefully, the AirAsia FAQ post would help you out. Happy Traveling!
All the information above is correct upon published & is subject to change without further notice. Please make an effort to double check. Neither the author nor owner will be liable for any damage or lost caused.