In recent years, UnionPay has gained popularity as one of the fastest growing payment network. It is accepted in 168 countries and regions
Even if you have a Visa or Mastercard, it is good to apply a UnionPay card to diversify and capitalize on each payment gateway’s perks and benefits.
1. Global & Local Duty-Free Promotions
As a frequent traveller, what’s better than discount? More discount of course!
With UnionPay card, you get to enjoy RM60 discount when you spend RM1,200 at participating duty-free shops or RM3 discount when you spend RM25 at participating F&B outlets in KLIA, klia2, Kota Kinabalu International Airport, Penang International Airport, and Langkawi International Airport from 1st May 2018 till 31st October 2018.
For more global promos, check this out.
2. 100% Acceptance in China
Unfortunately, apart from the first-tier cities such as Beijing, Shanghai and Shenzhen, most cities in China does not accept Visa and Mastercard.
Be it leisure or business purpose, we dislike bringing lots of cash when traveling as it makes us feel unsafe. We can always call to cancel a credit card but once cash is lost, it is lost forever.
Even Malaysian Ringgit is not accepted in banks for currency exchange which we encountered in Suzhou. Thus, having a UnionPay card when traveling to China allows us the convenience of cashless transaction.
3. Chinese Visa Application Express Service
We usually travel once a year to China hence applying Chinese Visa is a yearly routine.
The Chinese Visa Application Service Centers in Australia, Singapore South Korea and Malaysia are offering exclusive UnionPay VIP counter (card number starting with 62) holders.
This benefit gives us a much shorter queuing time whenever we need to apply Chinese Visa.
4. Overseas Promotion
Seeing as UnionPay is in more than 168 countries and regions, it is a norm to see exclusive UnionPay promotions in other countries.
- Netherlands: Special Discount or Gift at Amsterdam Airport Schiphol
- Thailand: 10% off regular priced items at Paragon Department Stores
- Australia: iTrip exclusive offer
- South Korea: Special Privileges at Galleria Online Duty Free
- USA: 5% discount of purchase over USD200 at New York JFK Terminal 1, Terminal 8, and Boston BOS Terminal E
- Global: Up to 6% Off for Travelzoo selected premium products
5. Local Promotions
There are some promotions locally that you can benefit from.
- Din Tai Fung (complimentary house steamed chicken soup with a minimum spend of RM150)
- Canton-i (RM10 off with a minimum spend of RM500)
- Pavilion (complimentary gift with a minimum spend of RM500)
- Imago Mall, Kota Kinabalu (complimentary gift with a minimum spend of RM500)
- Eraman (RM60 off with a minimum spend of RM1,200 starting 1 May 2018)
- Charles & Keith (RM30 off with a minimum spend of RM300)
- Bath & Body Works (RM30 off with a minimum spend of RM300)
- TWG (RM30 off with a minimum spend of RM300)
How to Apply a UnionPay Card
The easiest way to apply a UnionPay card is to visit the nearest Public Bank and apply Public Bank UnionPay Lifestyle Debit Card. The debit card is link to your PB UnionPay Saving Account that provides higher interest rate than normal savings account.
Or you could just let them know you would like to get more information on the UnionPay Cards by filling this up.