How to Apply International Driving License in Malaysia

In our previous travels, we self drove in Iceland, Hokkaido, Italy and USA.

Self driving while traveling in certain places is highly recommended. It is more convenient to get around especially in places that lack public transport.

To apply the International Driving Permit (IDP), you will need to prepare:

  1. Valid driving license with more than 1 year validity.
  2. Photocopy of the driving license (Both sides).
  3. Original and photocopy of Identity Card (Both sides).
  4. 1 passport size photographs.
  5. Complete Form JPJ L1 (Obtain & fill at JPJ office)
  6. Payment of RM150 per year.

Visit the nearest JPJ Office or the Malaysia Automobile Association (MAA) office (RM30 extra) to submit the application. You will receive the international driving permit immediately.

Do I need International Driving License to drive in overseas?

In some countries (eg 10 ASEAN Countries), you can rent and drive with our Malaysia driving license however you will need to find out the details.

We strongly recommend to apply international driving license. In case of an accident, the last thing you want to be told is that you are driving illegally or you are unable to claim insurance due to lack of international driving license.

Most of us do not read the insurance clause nor rental clause or when the main language is not in English. You would not want to be caught in such situation as damages can be as high as a brand new car.

What to take note when renting cars in overseas?

Buy a car rental insurance and understand what does it cover and how much you are liable in the event of an accident. It is recommended to buy the car rental insurance that waive all charges.

Some rental companies will charge extra if the driver is below a certain age usually 25/30 years old and below.

Unlike in Malaysia, please take note of the speed limit. First class countries are very strict in terms of speeding and the fine for speeding can be expensive. By crossing even 1 kmph will land you a fine. Lastly, please do not offer a bribe unless you want to land in jail.

About Tommy Ooi 383 Articles
Luxury Hotel Reviewer & Destination Blogger. Passionate for travel, exploring new culture & indulging divine food, Tommy has traveled to 42 countries & 140+ destinations.


  1. There is a clause in the JPJ website stating this …. “You need to surrender your domestic license to JPJ as you are not allowed to hold 2 types of licenses at a time. If you no longer require the IDP, you may be go to the JPJ offices to get back your domestic license”.

    Is this true?

  2. hi there can i apply for this at UTC or do i have to go directly to JPJ? also how long was the process for you?

    thanks in advance

    • Hi Corny, may we know whats the difference? In the end we received the International Driving Permit which is the official document. Although for easier reference we use the term driving license

  3. Hi Tommy, I will be travelling to Japan from 10-20/3/2019. If my driving license is expiring on 22/11/2019 but the international driving permit need to have more than 1 year validity. Can I proceed to apply the IDP?

  4. my license is DA. can I still apply for IDP? i dont know where I read it but only D license (manual and auto) can apply. i dont know if that is correct or not because i dont remember where i read that. mine only can bring auto only.

  5. Hi Tommy,
    I’m holding a Malaysian driving license, and will be traveling to Korea.
    What is the most convenient way to convert to International Driving License?
    I’m a PR living in SG though, but I didnt drive here.

    thanks in advance!

  6. Hi Tommy,
    Do you know what will be the procedure if a person from China wants to apply international licence in order to be able to drive in Malaysia? Thanks in advance.

  7. Hi, I am currently studying in UK, how do I convert my license into international license? Is there any possible way I can do it via online?

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.